The Overture Group is helping The Atkins Group, an entrepreneurial business that has been actively involved in real estate for over 30 years located in the Champaign Urbana area find their next Controller. The Atkins Group is committed to supporting Champaign County both in terms of business endeavors and donating back to local non-profits.
The Controller will be responsible for timely, accurate and efficient accounting duties including reporting, budgeting, compliance, control, taxes, audits, insurance, credit and collection, cash management, etc. They will lead a team of three. Additionally, the Controller will lead financial analysis to facilitate decision-making, supporting the Presidents of each Business Unit to improve company share, profit and competitive position.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee and review monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statement preparation
- Supports ownership by contributing to and providing financial analyses, modeling etc.
- Work with other managers to provide financial information and analysis on all prospective and on-going projects
- Develop and maintain key performance indicators to help company monitor progress against goals and manage the business
- Work with other managers in the development and implementation of short and long-term goals
- Develop and maintain relationship with third parties related to accounting (financial institutions, investment managers, insurance agents, 401k admin, tax return preparation, etc.)
- Perform and oversee many treasury, cash management, and banking functions for the owners and businesses
- Staff, develop, and coach direct reports, evaluate performance, and initiate corrective action as required.
- Help maintain and as necessary upgrade companies accounting and ERP software to improve accounting, construction and property management
Desired Skills and Attributes:
- BA or BS in accounting or finance. CPA a plus
- 10+ years’ experience, with at least 5 years as a Controller or financial leadership position
- Experience working with a privately held company on a small accounting/finance team (less than 8 people)
- Public accounting experience preferred.
- Construction, real estate development, and/or property management experience preferred
- Hands-on – someone who is going to do the work themselves and not just delegate
- Strong with technology including experience with mid-tier ERP software (SAGE 300 a plus)
- Technical and comprehensive knowledge of accounting, budgeting and tax areas of a business including a solid understanding of GAAP
- Investment accounting and reporting experience a plus
- Experience with estate planning and trust accounting a plus
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Mike Conti of The Overture Group via email: